Monday, June 20, 2005

Platinum- Purple Passion

First Impressions

I have wanted to buy one of these pens for quite sometime now. I really do not know why I like this color because it is definitely not a traditional color and by some accounts, it is a rather obnoxious sight. Regardless, it is an attention getter, both negative and positive especially with this color. It seems like something Prince or the artist formerly known as Prince would use to sign a recording contract. The color is straight out of the 80’s. This is the first Platinum pen I have ever bought, I always have been curious about them.



Appearance/ Finish 4 out of 5

It is purple, that’s for sure!! It is the same body as the Platinum “Very Presidential” series of fountain pens. It has a nice high gloss shine to it and all parts on the pen seem to be very smooth with the exception of the threads on the barrel. There is a seam on there from the production of this pen and this is something that should have been smoothed out before shipping. The clip looks to be firmly anchored to the cap and I do not foresee any issues with this clip breaking or bending with normal wear and tear. Other than that, this pen seems very well made and up to the standards of Platinum Pens of Japan. I had a few looks from some pen snobs and the looks were of disgust and shock. They wonder how anyone could buy such a hideous looking pen. Sorry, I like it and I am a non-conformist!!!




Design/Size/Weight 5 out of 5

The pen is in the same shape as the Very Presidential pen and it has an extremely comfortable feel to it. In my hands, the pen is very balanced with or without the cap posted. I find a similarity of this pen with the modern Sheaffer Balance and Balance II pens. I wouldn’t say this pen is extremely light but in no way is it a heavy pen. It is comfortable just as the Sheaffer Balance is. While the pen is in its normal resting state, the pen is roughly a tad bit larger than 5 ½ inches in length. The Purple Passion posted measures in at roughly 6 1/3 inches. So this pen is not a tiny one by any means. This is a good standard sized pen for an average hand.

Nib Design and Performance 3.5 out of 5

This pen sports a good sized two tone 18kt gold President nib in a Japanese medium, in addition to the size, the Platinum President nib is a very gorgeous looking nib. If any of you know anything about Japanese nibs, they are roughly around one size finer than by western standards. This Japanese medium nib boarders on the medium side of fine when it comes to the thickness of a line. I was expecting a smooth as glass writing experience, boy, was I disappointed!!! I used the thickest most lubricated black ink I have in my arsenal to test this pen out, Aurora Black. As I started to write, all I can feel is the paper being torn on the down stroke. This pen was completely unusable and it wasn’t just a simple toothy nib, this had major bite!! I brought out my fine grit paper to smooth this nib out. It took me roughly 30 minutes to adjust and smooth out this nib. After all of my curse words, blood, sweat and tears have been used up, this pen was now transformed. It is a new writing experience after smoothing out the nib. It wrote how I originally envisioned it, smooth as glass. The ink flow is completely phenomenal and even as a fine nib in western standards; this pen lays down copious amounts of ink. It took some time but once it was there, this is a fantastic writing pen.



The Filling System 4 out of 5

The Platinum purple Passion uses a cartridge/converter filling system. This seems to be the norm when it comes to filling systems on modern pens. One thing that I did not like was that the filling system, whether it is a cartridge or the converter, uses a proprietary style. This is unique only to Platinum pens. So if you need to buy ink cartridges or a new converter, you will have to find a source that sells them. I only know of a couple of places

http://www.platinumpenstore.com

http://www.inkpalette.com

http://www.apenloversparadise.com

I really wish they would have gone universal on both the Converter and the Cartridges because it is very difficult to find refills and only select places sell them. So you better stock up!!!

Cost 4 out of 5

The deciding factor for buying this pen was the 50% off of the retail price (Brand New). I am lucky that I did find it at this price because there would be no way I would have paid for it at the going rate. I guess the main factor for the high price of the pen is that it is discontinued and they did not make as many of them in this color compared to the standard "Very Presidential" model. I checked a while ago and the Purple Passion is going for the high 100’s low 200’s. As I said earlier, this is the same pen as the "Very Presidential" with the exception of the color. If you decided that you want a black or a burgandy colored pen instead of the wild looking purple color, then you would be saving around $40.00 to $80.00 for the standard "Very Presidential". It is all depending on where you decided to buy the pen.

Conclusion

After a few minor modifications to this pen, I had it up and running and writing like a dream. I bought this pen used from Parkville Pen (Dennis Bowden) and I got a super deal on it. Dennis is a super guy and he goes out of his way to make sure you are taken care of. From what I gather, the pen was on consignment and from the looks of it, it doesn’t even look like it has seen ink or if it did, not much. I assume it was an owner who didn’t want to or know how to make minor nib modifications.If you do not like the color but you like the style, size and 18kt gold nib, then I would suggest the Platinum President. The only difference is the color, which you can buy them in either black or burgundy. It is much cheaper than the Purple Passion due to the fact that the Purple Passion was a limited run. There is another pen that is the little brother to the Purple Passion and the President. It is the Very Presidential and it is a lighter version of the pen and instead of the 18kt gold nib, this one has the 14kt gold.This pen is definitely an eye catcher and I only found to kinds of people. The ones who are rebels at heart and love the eccentric purple color. The other ones who think this is the ugliest pen and it should belong in the book of the most hideous looking pens ever made. IF you ask anyone that knows me, they will tell you I am a true rebel. I buy pens for me and no one else. I am not your typical snob pen collector. I love this pen, purple or not!!! I guess this pen shows my true personality, I don’t fit in to the norm and I will always stand out. You either Love me or hate me, there is no in between, I am who I am and nothing will change me. Bravo Platinum Bravo!!!!

No comments: